- Family: Libellulidae.
- Scientific: Brachythemis leucosticta.
- English: Southern banded groundling.
The Southern banded groundling – Brachythemis leucosticta is a small species with an overall body color that ranges from yellowish to blackish-brown. The face of young males and females is yellowish-cream, and the thorax and abdomen are yellow-greenish with noticeable brown or black marks. As they age, males become black, and females become brown.
The legs are yellowish with black bands, and the wings of mature males have a transverse brown band just before the pterostigma. The pterostigma is a darkened cell on the leading edge of the insect wing, elongated (about 3 mm) and bicolored (light and dark brown in the apical third). The abdomen is short and moderately wide, flattened dorso-ventrally, and each segment has dark lateral marks.
- Total length: 33mm.
- Wingspan: 57 mm.
- Flight period in Iberia: May to October.
- Habitat: open low grassland and shrubland close to lakes and ponds.
- Distribution: An African species but widespread across the Iberian peninsular especially Andalucia.
- Similar species:
The Southern banded groundling – Brachythemis leucosticta has a habit of following large mammals as they move across fields and even humans as they walk along the edges of marshland and lakes. they take advantage of the prey that arise from the movements. (Similar to cattle egrets when they take advantage of livestock grazing through meadows and fields.)
- Interesting that many specialized sites do not mention Spain as a distribution area for this species: http://thebdi.org/2020/05/25/southern-banded-groundling-brachythemis-leucosticta/
- Study about the ‘Accompanying’ behaviour of Brachythemis leucosticta https://www.researchgate.net/publication/299019746_%27Accompanying%27_behaviour_of_Brachythemis_leucosticta_Burmeister_in_Europe_Anisoptera_Libellulidae
Everything you need to know before you visit Ronda “The city of dreams” in Andalucia. https://www.rondatoday.com/
The Caminito del Rey
Find tickets for the Caminito del Rey: https://www.caminodelrey.es/
Wildside Holidays – Spain
Take a trip on the Wildside! Discover the wildlife and nature of Spain, its Natural and National Parks and find the top wildlife, activity and walking holiday companies.
Iberia Nature Forum
Struggling with identifying those bugs and beasties? Why not check out the Iberia nature Forum!
Discover the Iberia Nature Forum – Environment, geography, nature, landscape, climate, culture, history, rural tourism and travel.