- Region: Pais Vasco
- Province: Alava
- Declared a Natural Park 1998
- Park surface area: 9,143 hectares
- Towns and villages: Arraya-Maestu, Bernedo, Campezo, Antoñana, Apellániz, Arlucea, Atauri, Bujanda, Maestu, Marquínez, Quintana, San Román, Urarte, Urturi, Vírgala and Corres which is the only village inside the park limits.
Points of interest
Located 31 kms from Vitoria-Gasteiz, Izki Natural Park is a vast forest area surrounding the Izki river and flanked by mountains on either side. Standing at 1,176 m, Kapildui is the highest peak and the area is home to Europe’s largest Quercus pyrenaica woodland, covering around 3,500 hectares. There are also wide areas of beech, Portuguese oak, silver birch, English oak and holm oak populations.
Find a hotel close to the Izki Natural Park
Top places to walk and visit
Ask about these walks in the tourist office.
- San Román to Mount Muela
- Antoñana to Soila through the forest
- Bujanda to Corres
- Marquinez to Mount Belabia and the visit to the artificial caves.
- Apellaniz to Arluzea passing through the San Cristóbal and San Justi mountains
Izki Natural Park Visitor Centre
The easy to find Izki Natural Park Visitor Centre is located in the small village of Corres which is the only village within the boundaries of the protected area. This is the place to head for for all the information regarding the network of footpaths in the area.
There is also a permanent exhibition about the variety of ecosystems (rivers, woods, wetlands and crags) and the fauna and flora present in the protected area.
- Tuesday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.(1st of October to 31st of March).
- Tuesday to Friday from 10:00 – 19:00 every day (1st of April to 30th of September)
- Closed on Mondays
Iberia Nature Forum
Struggling with identifying those bugs and beasties? Why not check out the Iberia nature Forum!
Discover the Iberia Nature Forum – Environment, geography, nature, landscape, climate, culture, history, rural tourism and travel.