- Family: Nymphalidae
- Scientific name: Argynnis pandora (Pandoriana pandora )
- English common name: Cardinal
- Spanish common name: Pandora
- Portuguese common name: Pandora
The Cardinal – Argynnis pandora – Pandora is a large butterfly with soft orange upperwings marked with black spots/ lines and with a green flush. The forewing on the under side are smudged green at the tip with the rest a strong salmon and black pattern, the hind wing is pale green with silver stripes.
This butterfly is often found in flower rich meadows next to woodlands.
The caterpillars of this species are up to 4cm with a basic black colour to the body bearing tiny orange spots, they are covered in rows of black/brown spiny looking hairs.
- Wing size: 64-80mm
- Altitude: 500-1500m
- Flight time: May-July also August-early October in warmer zones
- Over-wintering: Caterpillar
- Caterpillar food plant: Viola
- Distribution: Southern Europe, Mediterranean.
Similar species: Silver-washed Fritillary (Argynnis paphia), which lacks the green flush on the upper wings.
Photos by Sue Eatock. https://grazalemaguide.com/
Wildside Holidays – Spain
Take a trip on the Wildside! Discover the wildlife and nature of Spain, its Natural and National Parks and find the top wildlife, activity and walking holiday companies.