- Region: Cantabria
- Nearest village: Soba, Asón
- Declared a Natural Park: 2006
- Park surface area: 4,740 hectares
Points of interest
A unique area of great interest the Collados del Asón Natural Park is located in an area that has traditionally been scarcely populated and is characterized by its limestone outcrops, small beech forests and unique Cantabrian oak groves along with man-made meadows for livestock use.
The small neighborhood of Asón (in the municipality of Soba) is the only population center that is within the limits of the park.
Find a hotel in the area of the Collados del Asón Natural Park
the area is inhabited by a wide representation of the Cantabrian mountain fauna including the large raptors such as griffon vulture, Egyptian vulture, short-toed eagle and goshawk. Also, given the high density of caves found in the area, bats are quite numerous with species such as cave bat (Miniopterus schreibersii), horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus euryale) and large horseshoe bat (Rhinolophus ferrumequinum).
Hiking and walking in the Collados del Asón Natural Park
There are three well known footpaths in the area and information about these walks can be obtained in the interpretation centre. (See below.)
- Vuelta a Colina
- Ruta de Cailagua: el nacimiento del Asón
- Ruta del Glaciar de Hondojón
Other activities in Cantabria
Collados del Asón Natural Park Interpretation Center
The Interpretation Center of the Natural Park of los Collados del Asón is located in La Gándara de Soba next to the recreational area of Monte Lavín. The installation has an exhibition of photographs and interpretive panels that familiarize the visitor with the geomorphology, vegetation, fauna and cultural activity in this markedly rural area.
Various thematic rooms show the importance of quaternary glacierism and the underground world of caves in the area. There is also has a room for the projection of an audiovisual of about 20 minutes, which reflects the main natural and ethnographic values of the area.
Address: Barrio Lavín, La Gándara de Soba s / n. Soba
- January to March from Wednesday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and weekends and holidays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- April to June: Wednesday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and weekends and holidays from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- July and August: Monday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- September: Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- October and November: Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and weekends and holidays from 10am to 6pm.
- December: Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Closed on 01/01, 06/01, 24/12 and 31/12
Everything you need to know before you visit Ronda “The city of dreams” in Andalucia. https://www.rondatoday.com/
Planning on visiting Cádiz? Tourist information. Monuments. Hotels. Activities. City guides: https://visitingcadiz.com/
The Caminito del Rey
Find tickets for the Caminito del Rey: https://www.caminodelrey.es/
Wildside Holidays – Spain
Take a trip on the Wildside! Discover the wildlife and nature of Spain, its Natural and National Parks and find the top wildlife, activity and walking holiday companies.
Iberia Nature Forum
Struggling with identifying those bugs and beasties? Why not check out the Iberia nature Forum! https://iberianatureforum.com/